Sunday 18 September 2011

The Great 30 Day Lipstick Challenge - Week 1

Once again thank you to everyone who voted for which box of lipsticks I should be using for the next 30 days (you can see the "winner" box here). It's now been over a week and I have 7 lipsticks to show you. I have to say, it was a very good idea of mine to start this challenge as I often reach for the same lipsticks despite owning over 300 of them, so being restricted to choose from "just" 58 lipsticks is actually quite liberating. I also consciously trying to choose lipsticks I don't normally go for, there are quite a few unused lipsticks sitting in each box, so it's a great opportunity to try them out as well as rediscover forgotten favourites. Ah, the curse of having too much make up.


So here they are, the first 7 lipsticks. As you can see I managed to choose from a variety of brands and if you scroll down, you will see that I also managed to use a variety of shades. So shall we see which lipsticks I used this week? Find out after the jump!




The lipsticks in the line up are:
1. Maybelline ColorSensational lipstick in 035 Pink Peony
2. Collection 2000 Volume Sensation lipstick in 5 Pretty Please
3. Mac Cremesheen lipstick in Hibiscus
4. Benefit lipstick in Candy Store
5. Benefit lipstick in Breakup Rumor
6. Maybelline ColorSensational lipstick in 112 Ambre Rose
7. Boots No 7 lipstick in Rubellite

I'm not going to review them one by one, but will say a few words about the goods and the bads. Firstly Pink Peony is a lovely shade and a very nice lipstick, but my god, Maybelline, yours are by far the most disgusting smelly lipsticks I've ever tried (although on par with Urban Decay Naked lipstick). Yuck. Shame though as the lipsticks themselves are pretty good. However, I did find that Ambre Rose is just not the one for me, it's a nude cool pink toned lipstick (neither amber or rose for that matter) and it just doesn't look good on me. I tried to warm it up with various lipglasses and you can see me wearing it here, but still, I think this will go on my blog sale as and when I get around to doing one.

Collection 2000 Pretty Please lipstick is a really lovely bright pinky coral. Doesn't give any volume to my lips, but it does have a slightly tingy, cool feel when applied. Not that keen about the scent, but it's not as bad as the Maybelline lipsticks. Mac Hibiscus is a lovely coral shade, it was a limited edition and sold out very quickly earlier this summer. Love the vanilla scent, it's one of my favourites. I have included a lipswatch at the bottom of this post.

I used two Benefit listicks, but they couldn't be more different. Candy Store is a very sheer, quite creamy and slippery lipstick, whereas Breakup Rumor is much more opaque and stays on for about 2 hours longer. Both are lovely shades, Breakup Rumor is definitely more of an autumn shade though.

Finally Boots No 7  lipstick in Rubellite is another bright pinky coral shade, quite similar to the Collection 2000 one, it's very pretty and wearable. You can see me wearing it here, but I've also included a lipswatch at the bottom of this page. Probably my favourite shade of the week, maybe tied with Breakup Rumor. Least favourite shade/lipstick was Maybelline Ambre Rose.

Below you can find some arm swatches as well as lip swatches. Let me know which one you like best. I will be back with another 7 days' worth of lipsticks soon!

Taken with flash

Taken without flash in direct sunlilght

Mac Hibiscus lipstick

Collection 2000 Pretty Please

Benefit Candy Store

Benefit Breakup Rumor

Boots No 7 Rubellite (for full face photo click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...