Friday 22 April 2011

Swatching My Stash Part 3: Foundations

As you know I am trying to shop my stash more since I realised how much make up I really own, although to be honest, I have just bought a ton while on holiday, so much for that. But in any case I thought I'd show you my foundation stash which is actually rather small compared to my whole stash of make up. I have 7 foundations, plus one I own in a darker shade which I'm hoping will suit me more in the summer as it's too dark at the moment.


First up is a foundation that isn't actually a foundation, although it is called foundation. I would actually call it "what was I thinking?" because in all honesty, I have no idea why I bought it in the first place. It is Max Factor Sheer Radiane Sheer Shimmer Foundation in 110 Shimmering Natural. It is basically a very shimmery highlighter that noone in their right mind should use on their whole face. Annoyingly though the pump dispenses way too much in one go, so you either put it all on your face (don't!) or wash it off your hands which is basically very wasteful. To my surprise the bottle is nearly half empty, although I have no idea when I actually used up half of this as it really is hideous. It's an okay highlighter, but there are much better ones. Mark out of 10: 1. Would I repurchase it? Not on your nelly!




See what other foundations I own and which one's my favourite after the jump!

Next up is Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation in 030 Sand. I quite like this one. It doesn't stay matte on me, I need powder to set it, although I do have a combination skin with oily forehead and nose, so maybe it would work better on someone with drier skin. I think it's nicely blendable though and gives a pretty good coverage, but like I said it doesn't last for too long without needing a touch up. Mark out of 10: 6. Would I repurchase it? Probably not since it's not my HG foundation, however, the shade is a pretty good match for me.




Another Maybelline foundation, Dream Satin Liquid Foundation in 020 Cameo. It just doesn't do what it claims it does, it  doesn't give me an air-brush finish, the coverage isn't great at all and it needs touching up pretty quickly as my face starts becoming quite shiny after just a couple of hours. Not too happy with the shade either, so all in not a great one for me. Marks out oof 10: 3. Would I repurchase it? No.



The next one is a newly acquired foundation for me, it's Boots' own brand 17 Photo Flawless Foundation in Soft Ivory. I didn't really need another foundation, only bought it because you got a free primer with it and it only cost 6 quid or so anyway. This one has a verry strange texture, it's very runny and the colour is ridiculously dark since I actually got the lightest shade available. It blends out, so looks okay on me, but the coverage is rubbish and it certainly doesn't give 24 hour wear or professional finish as it claims it does. Marks out of 10: 2. Would I repurchase it? No way, Jose!



Next one up is a high end foundation: Guerlain Lingerie de Peau in 02 Beige Clair. The colour's lovely, it's a good match for my skin tone (I also have this in 03 Beige Naturel, but that's too dark for me right now) and it has a nice texture, but it is a bit like the Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation, it doesn't give a very good coverage and needs touching up within a few hours. I'm not that happy with it, especially for the price (£35.50), so will not repurchase it I don't think. Marks out of 10: 5.


Another Maybelline foundation (don't know why I own so many to be honest), this one is Dream Creamy Foundation in 030 Sand. It's a solid to cream formula, gives a pretty good coverage, but I find application a bit yucky as you get a sponge in the compartment under the foundation (no mirror though) and it just gets dirty very quickly as you can't really clean it and applying this with fingers isn't that easy for me. All in all though I like this one and it's a good colour for me. Marks out of 10: 7. Would I repurchase it? Probably not, I'm more interested in trying out high end foundations instead.
 

Last but not least is a foundation I recently reviewed here so I will keep this short. Out of all my foundations this is definitely my favourite one, it's an excellent colour match for me and gives very good coverage, my only complaint is the rather strong scent. I will give it an 8 out of 10 though and a maybe for repurchasing, unless I find something better.


Finally here are some swatches. First the foundations swatched heavily on the inside of my arm, then blended out, then swatched lightly and blended out on the outside of my arm first with flash then without. Order same as the order of review.


L-R: Max Factor Sheer Radiance, Maybelline Dream Matte, Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, 17 Photo Flawless, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Maybelline Dream Creamy, Givenchy Photo'perfection

L-R: Max Factor Sheer Radiance, Maybelline Dream Matte, Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, 17 Photo Flawless, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Maybelline Dream Creamy, Givenchy Photo'perfection

L-R: Max Factor Sheer Radiance, Maybelline Dream Matte, Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, 17 Photo Flawless, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Maybelline Dream Creamy, Givenchy Photo'perfection

L-R: Max Factor Sheer Radiance, Maybelline Dream Matte, Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid, 17 Photo Flawless, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Maybelline Dream Creamy, Givenchy Photo'perfection


2 comments:

  1. Haha I love the Sheer Shimmer foundation (not for my whole face though obviously)
    I finished my last bottle of it about 6 months ago and I'm totally gutted as it was discontinued a few years ago, I emailed them to ask if they were ever bringing it back and they said they have no plans to relaunch it.
    I also loved the shimmer pan stick but thats also discontinued
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can have mine! If you let me know your address (e-mail me at pleasureflush@yahoo.co.uk), I'll send it to you when I get back from holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...